These golden and green nuggets of healthy deliciousness are ideal for tapas nights or just to keep in your fridge for the busy week ahead. They are scrumptious in salads, wraps or just on their own with a hummus dip or garlic aioli.
What you will need :
- 1 x packet courgettes (grated)
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup Parmesan (or another grated cheese, such as cheddar)
- 2 eggs
- salt, pepper and chili to taste (Add as much chilli as you like and even some fresh herbs. What I love most about this recipe is that you can adjust it according to your favourite flavours.)
- A generous tablespoon of garlic if you are a garlic fiend like myself. My boyfriend recently informed me that I have never not tasted like garlic since we have been together and I embrace my ghoulish and garlicky ways. I also recently dressed up as Buffy the vampire slayer and this coupled with perpetual garlic taste probably means no vampire will ever love me. While this dashes teenage dreams of dating a glittery vampiric demi-god, I think bae made quite a cute vampire and he didn’t even mind having the most garlicky girlfriend in the world.
So add that garlic folx! Always add the garlic and the right vampire will still love you.
What to do :
- Grate your courgettes into a bowl, salt generously and leave to stand for about 20 minutes. (The salt helps to extract the liquid, because who wants a soggy zucchini tot?!)
- In the meantime mix the bread crumbs, cheese, eggs, salt, pepper, garlic and chilli.
- Ring the grated courgettes in a clean dish cloth to rid of extra moisture (you will be surprised by how much water comes out! So be sure to do it over a bowl or the sink.)
- Mix the grated and now dryish courgettes with the bread crumb mix, adding a bit of olive oil if it gets too dry.
- Lightly oil a baking tray and set your oven to 180 degrees. Separate the mixture into smaller tots and bake till golden. Checking every 5-10 minutes.
These are great treats for a potluck evening, awesome post gym nibbles and the perfect compliment to salads, samies and wraps.